Favorite Books of 2017

Sunday, December 31, 2017
I am excited to share my favorite books of 2017 with you. These are the books I loved. These are the books I couldn't put down. These are the books I am still thinking about today. Let's get to them, in no particular order. (I should note, these are my favorite books I read this year. They were not necessarily published this year.)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
I read Lonesome Dove in January, almost a full year ago, and am still thinking about it today. It was such an intense ride. While reading it, I went through so many emotions. At times I found myself laughing out loud. At other times I found myself crying uncontrollably . Most often I found my heart absolutely racing. Such an incredible book. Do I recommend it? Yes, but with caveats. It's rough in places. Really rough. With that said, I personally gained such respect for those that lived in the west in the 1800's. I also gained such respect for Larry McMurtry. Such an amazing storyteller and writer. I never thought I'd enjoy a Western, but he made me do so.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
I was introduced to Fredrik Backman's books just this year. I have only read three so far, but already Backman has become a favorite author. A Man Called Ove was my first of his and is still my favorite. I laughed. I cried. I loved it. Highly recommend.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Homegoing is such a powerful read. I still can't believe it is Yaa Gyasi's debut novel. The book tells the stories of half-sisters, Effia and Esi, born in Ghana in the 1700's, as well as the stories of their descendants, all seven generations of them. It is beautiful and difficult and inspiring.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
A Gentleman in Moscow was one of those books that, immediately after finishing, I wanted to start over and read it again. In fact, immediately after finishing the copy I borrowed from the library, I bought my own copy, so I could do just that. I hope to reread it in 2018. I loved this book. The story and writing are equally beautiful.

Peace Like a Riverby Leif Enger
I finished Peace Like a River just a few days ago and my mind is still absorbed by it. I loved it. Yet, as much as I loved it, I am having a hard time describing it. Yes, it is a book about the strength of family during hardships and struggle. Yes, it is a book about miracles. Yes, it's beautiful. It is so, so much more though. Please read it.

1 comment:

  1. OK I'm going to read Lonesome Dove. They had a copy in the bookroom tonight, I will pick it up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete