What I've Been Reading - September 2016

Friday, September 30, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories by R.J. Palacio (3 stars)
If you read and enjoyed Wonder, you will enjoy Auggie & Me, which shares the perspectives of three Wonder characters not shared before. I most enjoyed reading Julian's perspective. If you haven't yet read Wonder, do!

From This Moment by Elizabeth Camden (3 stars)
This book had so much potential. It started out very strong, but eventually fell short for me. Personally, I think the plot was a little too scattered for my liking. I don't mind multiple stories and narrators, but there needs to be a little order if there are. Mostly I think it fell short for me because it lacked a strong female character, or I should say it contained a fake-strong female character, if that makes sense. I think this book could have been improved with a little more time with its editor organizing its plot and strengthening its characters.

Lady Maybe by Julie Klassen (2.5 stars)
I usually enjoy books by Klassen, but I didn't enjoy this one. I think the plot was very good, but its delivery was terrible. It was all over the place. It was also so long! Almost 400 pages, which doesn't scare me off at all, but if a book is going to be that long, it needs to have 400 pages of greatness. This one did not. It could have definitely been shortened without taking away anything from what Klassen had written. Again, I think this book could have been improved with a little more time with its editor.

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty (2.5 stars)
This book has me torn. I enjoy Moriarty's writing. Her books are character driven, as well as plot driven, which I love. I enjoyed that aspect of this book. The characters were well written and the plot was tight and progressed nicely. However, I didn't enjoy the actual characters and plot of this book. The plot hit a little close to home in one aspect. I also didn't enjoy the amount of sexual references. Too much. I've only read one other book by her, which was not this way, and I loved, so I am hopeful I will enjoy more of her books. This one just wasn't for me. (*Some language)

Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool (4.5 stars)
I loved this book. Truly loved it. Go read the jacket cover right now to see why! I usually don't suggest reading a book's jacket. I feel it usually gives too much a way. I don't feel that way in this case and I find myself completely unable to adequately summarize this book. I think all will love it though. It is a great adventure, yet has so much heart. I found myself in tears at its end. That doesn't happen to me very often.

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye (4 stars)
"Of all my many murders, committed for love and for better reasons, the first was the most important." This is such a fun book! With a first line like that one, how could it not be? It is toted as a Gothic retelling of Jane Eyre, and though it is no Jane Eyre, it is seriously a lot of fun. My only wish is that it was a little less graphic when it came to violence and sex.

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen (2 stars)
I had high hopes for this one, but it fell very, very short. Labeled "A Steampunk Proper Romance" and "Jane Eyre meets Beauty and the Beast"...I was intrigued. I had never read steampunk, but was interested in doing so, and I love Jane Eyre and Beauty and the Beast. It seemed like this might be a good book for me. I should have read the book jacket more closely. Upon starting the book, I quickly found it also contained vampires and werewolves. Combine all of those aspects together...It just didn't work for me. If that combination of aspects appeals to you, this book might be perfect for you.

The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin (DNF)
The premise for this book sounded so good, and still does, but I couldn't get past the language. I only finished the first chapter before abandoning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment