What I've Been Reading - May 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.


I was really looking forward to this book after enjoying the second book in this series so much, but this book didn't quite live up to its predecessor for me, much like the first book in this series. The story line just didn't quite capture my attention, making the book easy to put down and not so easy to pick back up again. The language also got on my nerves in this book. It isn't full of language, just like the other two books, thankfully, but the language that is in it bothered me. Hoping the plot is better in the fourth book and the language is a little less salty. I still recommend these if you like more literary-minded mysteries.  (*Some language)


Only one word comes to mind reviewing this book and that word is boring. The story line was boring, as was the writing itself. I kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't. I won't be checking out book #2.

The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson (5 stars)
Spencer saw this book at his school's library and checked it out for me because he thought I would like it. I am glad he did. I would have never picked it up on my own. I ended up not just liking it, but loving it. It is a true story about a young boy on Oskar Schindler's list. I really enjoy WWII stories, but I tend to stay away from Holocaust stories because they can be too gritty for me as a Highly Sensitive Person. This story was perfect for me. It was beautifully told and very honest, but not too gritty. I highly recommend it to all.

My hopes were answered in the positive for book #4. I enjoyed this book a lot. The setting was a little different from the first three, refreshing the series a bit in my mind. And the language was much, much less present, thankfully. (*Some language)

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (5 stars)
I loved this book. It is about two sisters living in occupied France during World War II. It is insightful, heartbreaking and beautiful. It will stay with me for a very long time. I highly recommend it.

Another Chief Inspector Armand Gamache book under my belt. The more I read of Gamache, the more I want to read. Book #6 is already on my nightstand. (*Some language)

Eleanor and the Iron King by Julie Daines (4 stars)
This book was a fun surprise. I pulled it off Taylor's bookshelf one day. I am glad I did. It is filled with kings and fair maidens, witches and dungeons, duals and true love. It's a fun, quick read!

Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos (4 stars)
This book is a follow up to Love Walked In, and though it could stand on its own, I'd recommend reading them both, in order. I can't decide which one I liked better. This one had much less language, which I was very grateful for, but really, the two stories are both great and Santos' writing is excellent. (*Some language)

No comments:

Post a Comment