What I've Been Reading - March 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

I devoured this biography. It is filled with so much heart. I couldn't help but root for "the boys in the boat", especially Joe Rantz, whom is at the center of this book and truly gives the book its heart. I learned a lot while reading, as well, from rowing to Washington State history to the 1936 Olympics. This is not a book I would have picked up on my own. It was recommended to me, but I am so glad it was. It was definitely worth my time. I think it is worth your time as well. It won't disappoint.


Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson (5 stars)
After rereading Donaldson's Edenbrooke last month, I knew I wanted to reread Blackmoore as well. I am so glad I did. It was just as wonderful the third time around as it was the first and second. Donaldson is simply good at making a girl swoon.

Lord Fenton's Folly by Josi S. Kilpack (4 stars)
This book surprised me. Kilpack isn't known for Regency Romance. She's written only one other book in this category and I didn't love it. I didn't even really like it, giving me not so high hopes for this one. However, I liked it. This is a story about redemption and the power of love.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (1 star)
I feel duped! I read this book after a respected blogger I follow recommended it and due to its high rating on Goodreads. I should have done a little more research. I usually reserve 1 star ratings to books I hated and couldn't finish. I did finish this, (trusting in said respected blogger,) but wish I hadn't. However, I couldn't give it two stars. This book was too dark at times, (which I can handle if for a good purpose, purpose I don't think this book had,) was way too sensual and, in my personal opinion, had a misguided understanding of forgiveness, specifically who needs it and who doesn't.

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (3 stars)
I wanted to give this a higher rating. I really did. This book had a great story and great writing. A little quirky, but I liked it. I especially liked the main characters love of old Hollywood, something I love myself. Any book that talks about The Philadelphia Story, one my favorite movies, in such a fun and loving way, and mentions Fred and Ginger...Love it! So, why only 3 stars? The language! Why did it have to have so much swearing? Hated that!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (4 stars)
Surprising book! The cover and "romance" label are a little deceiving. Yes, there is a little romance, but there is so much more. I don't want to go into the details, because I don't want to give anything away. Just read this book! Side note - Language warning! The language didn't seem as abrasive as that in Love Walked In, but there is definitely quite a bit of it.

Still Life by Louise Penny (3 stars)
This very well may deserve more than 3 stars. I admittedly am not a huge mystery fan. This was, however, a pleasant little mystery book. Especially for a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) like myself. If you like mysteries, I would recommend this book. It is actually the first in a series. Despite my 3 star rating, I will probably check out the second book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment