What I've Been Reading - April 2016

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

I liked this book. I really did. It just was a little too slow-paced for me. And the author rambled a bit too much for my liking, her thoughts not always feeling too well-organized. I did love the idea behind the book though. And I gained some fun facts from it. Though the few stars, I definitely think it is worth reading if you are an Austen fan. Or even if you are just a fan of books! It's definitely a book-lovers book.

Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden (3 stars)
This was my first Camden novel and I enjoyed it. It was a simple story and had a happy ending, two things that make for easy reading when I need it. I definitely think I will check out more of her novels. The novel wasn't anything earth-shattering for me writing-wise, hence the three stars, but I enjoyed learning about a topic new to me, opium addiction in the 1800's. Overall, simple, happy and historical.

Choose Higher Ground by Henry B. Eyring (5 stars)
I love Henry B Eyring. His teachings are always powerful and heart-felt. I don't think I've ever seen him speak without shedding a tear or two. He will always hold a special place in my heart. This book is a collection of some of his talks. Each talk is unique and special on its own, but together they point toward always looking up, always reaching higher, always choosing higher ground. I loved it. It will be a book I reference often.

Prelude for a Lord (The Gentlmen Quartet #1) by Camille Elliot (3 stars)
I almost gave this book 2 stars, but I finally settled on 3 stars. I think my lower rating is due to my busier-than-usual life right now. In my spare moments, I didn't find myself excitedly picking it up. When I did pick it up, I had a difficult time getting into it, not really enjoying it. Because this book falls into one of my favorite genres, and because this was my first Elliot novel, I will give another one of hers a try.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (4.5 stars)
I loved this book! It was wonderful! I don't know how to describe it. Everytime I try, I fail miserably. I will just say, if you are a book-lover, read this book! (*Some language)

After Still Life, I wasn't quite sure I would pick up the second in this series, but I heard, yet again, another recommendation for it, so I gave it another try. I am glad I did! I enjoyed this book so much more than the first one and am excited to read the third! If you're a mystery fan, check this series out. I think you'll enjoy it. (*Some language)

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (2 stars)
This book was a disappointment for me. It came so highly recommended, but I just didn't like it. Especially the ending! What?! I know that isn't much of a review. Let's see. It's about a hostage situation involving an assortment of characters from around the world, including a Japanese business man and a famous American opera singer. I should say, this book made me think. I am still thinking about it. That does make for a good book, but overall, again, I just didn't like it. If I had skipped it all together, I don't feel I would have missed it.

A Few of the Girls: Stories by Maeve Binchy (4 stars)
This collection of short stories made me miss Maeve Binchy. She passed away in 2012. This collection of stories was published after her passing. I am glad they were. She is a wonderful story teller, whether they come in novel form or short story. She captures human nature like no other. She is definitely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment