What I've Been Reading - November 2017

Thursday, November 30, 2017
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

I had hoped to read a little deeper this month (in comparison to last month) and I absolutely did. It was a great month for books.

Maisie Dobbsby Jacqueline Winspear (4 stars)
I am still reeling over this book. What a surprise! I'd had Maisie Dobbs on my TBR list for a long time, but was waiting for the right time to read it. I was waiting for the time I needed a fun, snappy mystery. Now was the time, but this was no fun, snappy mystery. What a deceiving cover! This book may not be fun or snappy, but it is pretty darn perfect. Maisie Dobbs is part mystery, part historical fiction, part jaunt into the world of psychological. It is a story-within-a-story, sensitive and full of wisdom, introducing a character so self-reliant, yet so vulnerable. I particularly loved the setting (pre and post WWI England) and the backstory. The ending was probably my favorite part of all, but I won't give it away! Let's just say, I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this series.

I had seen A Study in Scarlet all over Bookstagram and had to check it out. I am so glad I did. It was a lot of fun and so well done. How Sherry Thomas flips the sex of Sherlock Holmes is clever. Even more clever is how she weaves all the other Sherlock characters into her book. It's so good. I must admit, the beginning was a little rough for me. I am glad I pushed through though, because the beginning ended up being no indicator of what the rest of the book was like. Now, I can't wait to read the next in this series.

The Coincidence of Coconut Cakeby Amy E. Reichert (3.5 stars)
This book completely reminded me of You've Got Mail, but instead of a bookstore, a restaurant was involved. Since I adore You've Got Mail, I was sure to love The Coincidence of Coconut Cake. I did. It was a lot of fun. It was the perfect fluffy read. And the cover is delightful!

Angle of Reposeby Wallace Stegner (4 stars)
Wallace Stegner has decidedly become a favorite author of mine. In September, I read his book, Crossing to Safety, and loved it. This month I read his Pulitzer Prize winning book, Angle of Repose. I didn't love Angle of Repose quite as much as I loved Crossing to Safety. The writing was just as beautiful and the sense of place, storyline and characters were just as well developed. I believe where it fell short for me was in its actual characters. They were not very likeable. I don't have to have likeable characters, but I really like to. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on more Wallace Stegner. I may try Wendell Berry first though. I've been told I will love him if I love Wallace Stegner.

Little Fires Everywhereby Celeste Ng (4 stars)
It seems like everyone is talking about Little Fires Everywhere, so I knew I had to get my hands on it. I am glad I did. It was a great read. I can't say I loved it as everyone else has seemed to, but I really enjoyed it. It was a fast read that kept me turning the pages, trying to find out where the story was going. This was my first Celeste Ng novel. I am looking forward to going back and reading her debut novel and to seeing what she will write next.

Emily of New Moon (The Emily Books, Book 1)by L.M. Montgomery (5 stars)
How have I made it all these years without reading Emily of New Moon? I adore Anne of Green Gables and have read it countless times. Why I didn't think to see what else L.M. Montgomery had written is beyond me. Emily of New Moon was beautiful and funny and so relatable. It is the first in a series of three books. I've already started book two, Emily Climbs. I need to know what happens to Emily! The big question is...Emily or Anne? I think its too early to say, but I've loved Anne since I was a young child. She is going to be pretty hard to beat out.

No comments:

Post a Comment