What I've Been Reading - October 2017

Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

After compiling the books I read this month, I may have laughed out loud. Amongst the eight books I read, six were Historical Romances! That might be a record. I learned something about myself through this observation: When I am stressed, I go for simple and sweet. This month is always stressful due to some larger responsibilities I have every October, hence, six Historical Romances. I'm hoping to read a little deeper in November, but for now...

Lily of the Manor by Anita Stansfield (2 stars)
I really didn't like Lily of the Manor. Its mechanical storytelling and undeveloped characters left me bored. If you'd like to read my in depth review, check it out here.

Searching for Irene by Marlene Bateman (2 stars)
I really didn't like Searching for Irene as well. Unlike Lily of the Manor, it had a good beginning and  ending, but the middle felt like a chore to get through. Again, if you'd like to read my in depth review, check it out here.

This is the perfect October read. Once you read it, you'll know why. After two terrible Historical Romances, I needed a book I knew would deliver. Glass Houses did just that. Glass Houses is the most recent installment (#13 to be exact!) in Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, (a wonderfully and thoughtfully written literary murder mystery series, that is so much more about the characters and their human hearts and minds, than it is about the murders,) being just released on August 29. Having preordered it, it was delivered to my front door on August 29, yet I found myself not picking it up right away. I wasn't ready to be done with the series! (That is, until the next installment is released!) Finally, this month, I couldn't hold out any longer. It didn't disappoint. I have fallen in love with Armand Gamache and the many quirky characters in this series and hope (can't wait!) to return to Three Pines very, very soon. (*Some language)

Josi S. Kilpack writes Culinary Mysteries and Proper Romances, but I am enjoying her Historical Proper Romances most of all. All That Makes Life Bright is her third installment amongst her Historical Proper Romances, this time writing about Harriet Beecher Stowe. She's also written about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Sir Walter Scott. Each book has been well researched and well written. I learn a lot and fall in love with falling in love a little bit more. (Plus, the covers are gorgeous!) I recommend them. Here are links to her first two Historical Proper Romances:

Forever and Forever: The Courtship of Henry Longfellow and Fanny Appleton by Josi S. Kilpack

The Lady of the Lakes: The True Love Story of Sir Walter Scott by Josi S. Kilpack
For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5) by Sarah M. Eden (5 stars)
I am definitely a little biased when it comes to anything written by Sarah M. Eden, hence, the five stars, but I simply love her and her Regency Romances. For Love or Honor is the fifth (or sixth, depending how you look at it,) installment in The Jonquil Brothers series and it didn't disappoint. If you are looking for a new-to-you author in this genre, I highly recommend her. She writes with so much wit and love. I haven't found anyone I like more. Here are links to the first two books in this series:

The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers #0) by Sarah M. Eden

Though The Kiss of a Stranger isn't technically a book about the Jonquil brothers, they are mentioned in it.
Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers #1) by Sarah M. Eden
Friends & Foes might just be my favorite of all time.

Mr. Dickens and His Carol by Samantha Silva (3.5 stars)
If you are looking for a good read this Christmas season, this might just be the perfect one. Mr. Dickens and His Carol is the fictional tale about the real Charles Dickens and the real story behind his most famous book. I enjoyed this one a lot. It is well researched, well written, a lot of fun and very poignant. It releases today! If you'd like to read my in depth review, check it out here.

Miss Leslie's Secret by Jennifer Moore (3 stars)
I don't have a lot to say about Miss Leslie's Secret other than it was simple and sweet and it was set in Scotland, which I loved. My in depth review is here.

Havencross by Julie Daines (3.5 stars)

Julie Daines is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine amongst the Historical Romance genre. I really enjoyed Havencross. It had so many things I love in a story: mystery, scandal, death, smugglers, King Arthur and love. My in depth review is here.

I'd love to know what you read this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment