What I've Been Reading - June 2016

Thursday, June 30, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

This is probably my favorite book of this literary mystery series so far. The structure of this book is a little different from its predecessors, giving it just what it needed to keep the series fresh. Inspector Gamache is beginning to earn a place in my literary heart. (*Some language)


Before We Visit the Goddess by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (3 stars)
I am glad I read this book, venturing out of my usual reading sphere, yet this book fell a little flat for me overall. It follows the lives and relationships of three generations of fictional women, Indian mothers and daughters. Despite my lack of love, if you are looking to expand your reading sphere, I would recommend this book.

Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (3 stars)
Taylor recommended I read this book and I am glad she did. The writing isn't stellar, but the story is interesting and one I didn't know a lot about. This book is a work of historical fiction, telling the story of Thomas Jefferson's sons he had with his slave Sally Hemings.

The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood (4 stars)
I am incredibly glad I read this book. I would have never picked it up on my own, but after hearing a rave review about it from one of my favorite literary bloggers, Anne Bogel from Modern Mrs Darcy, I knew I had to read it. Anne describes this book best. "Wood explores themes of love, loss and identity through a quirky 11-year-old boy who loves making lists, a wily 104-year-old woman, an absentee father, a Boy Scout project, and the Guinness Book of World Records." Read it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. (*Brief language)

After You (Me Before You #2) by Jojo Moyes (4 stars)
I was so looking forward to this follow up book to Me Before You, but it fell short for me. I noticed, however, that I gave both books (After You and Me Before You) 4 stars on Goodreads. Interesting! I guess overall I didn't love either of them, (or they would have had 5 stars) but I liked them both a lot, (hence the 4 stars) so, in a side by side comparison, I would say I liked Me Before You more.

This is another good book in this literary mystery series. I am definitely hooked and looking forward to book #8. (*Some language)

No comments:

Post a Comment