What I've Been Reading - January 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

The Headmistress of Rosemere (Whispers on the Moors, #2) by Sarah E. Ladd (4 stars)
I only recently discovered Sarah E. Ladd and her Whispers on the Moors series. She is recommended for Jane Austen fans. Though she is no Jane Austen, (really, who is?,) she does write enjoyable, clean, regency period stories. This novel is the second in the series, however, it is only minutely connected to the first. I usually recommend reading a series in order, but you wouldn't be misstepping to read this series out of order. Overall, The Headmistress of Rosemere was just as enjoyable as the first novel in the series.


See Me by Nicholas Sparks (3 stars)
Personally, I'm not sure why I keep reading Nicholas Sparks' books. I enjoyed his earlier novels, but it has been a while since I've enjoyed a novel of his. This particular story really didn't resonate with me.

The Lake House by Kate Morton (5 stars)
If you've never read Kate Morton, do! Right now! I only recently discovered her and wish I had discovered her sooner. She is a wonderful writer, weaving family drama and mystery seamlessly. My favorite Morton novel is The Secret Keeper. The Lake House is her most recent release and it didn't disappoint.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (4 stars)
I feel like I should have liked this WWII novel more. It is beautifully written, but it had a few gritty parts that were difficult for me, as a highly sensitive person (HSP), to process. I think most people would love this novel though. Warning - There is some unfavorable language in this novel.

A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Whispers on the Moors, #3) by Sarah E. Ladd (4 stars)
This was third Whispers on the Moors novel by Sarah E Ladd. I think it could have been better, but, overall, I liked the story. Character and story development was lacking a little for me. I know not everyone loves a lengthy story, but I do! Again, if you like enjoyable, clean, regency period stories, I think you will enjoy this series by Ladd.

No comments:

Post a Comment