A Stitch Fix Review - November 2015 - Fix #1

Sunday, November 1, 2015
I'd had my eye on Stitch Fix for a while. Quite a few bloggers I follow use the service. From their shared experiences, Stitch Fix looked like a fantastic service, but I wasn't sure if it was for me. Well, after a lot of back and forth, I decided to give Stitch Fix a try. I am so glad I did.  I loved my first Fix. It turned out that Stitch Fix is definitely for me.

So, what is Stitch Fix? Stitch Fix is a service that connects you with a personal stylist. That stylist hand-selects clothing and accessories for you and then ships them to your door.  Fantastic, right?! The process really is quite simple. You simply...
  1. Get started with a personal style quiz. (Tip - Be true to yourself and be detailed. If you have a Pinterest account, connect it to your Stitch Fix account.)
  2. Receive five personalized pieces, delivered to your door. (Tip - Try every piece on. Even those pieces you think you won't like. You never know! I've learned this from experience.)
  3. Keep what you love, send back the rest. (A prepaid envelope is provided!)
It really is that simple! A few other good things to know...
  • Fixes arive on your schedule.  You can receive packages regularly or at your convenience. (I've opted to have them monthly, but I love that I can change my mind at any time.)
  • There is a $20 styling fee, but that $20 will be applied as a credit toward anything you keep. 
  • If you love everything in your package and decide to keep it all, you get a 25% discount.  
That's it for information on the service for now. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Or you can check out Stitch Fix yourself! They have a great website. Oh! They also have an app. I always love a good app!

Now, onto my first Fix!
I don't think I've ever been so excited to see a package! Or so nervous! Please be good. Oh, please be good!

The first thing I found in my box was a note from my stylist, Brandi, along with styling tip cards for each item. Sorry. I didn't take any pictures of the cards, but here's what Brandi wrote...

"Welcome to Stitch Fix Jamie! I loved styling you. Your Pinterest board helped me understand your style, so thank you! I wanted to start you off with a preppy look for your first look. Colored denim is on-trend and the Kut From The Kloth red skinnies will look adorable with the 41Hawthorn sweater. Complete your look with Converse sneakers or leopard print flats and the Bay to Baubles necklace for a more glam effect.  For your second look, style the Kut From The Kloth blouse and the Market & Spruce cardigan with a pencil skirt. Need a new pencil skirt? Let me know and I'd be happy to send one in your next Fix. Have fun trying everything on and feel free to provide feedback at check-out. This will help me understand your style even more. Enjoy! -Brandi"

Now, onto the clothes!

Dayna Skinny Jean from Kut From The Kloth ($88)
The first item I pulled out was this pair of dark red skinnies. I loved them instantly, I'm a sucker for anything red, but was afraid they wouldn't fit. What were the chances of Stitch Fix sending jeans that would actually fit in my very first Fix?  In a store, I usually try on at least a dozen pairs before finding a pair I like. Well, I tried them on and they fit! Really well! I paired them below with a cream lace top from The Limited and nude flats from Target.
I then paired them with brown riding boots from Famous Footwear.
Love!

Verdict: Kept!

Sinclaire Button Front Blouse from Kut From The Kloth ($68)
The next item I pulled out was this blouse. To be completely honest, it wasn't love at first sight. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it. I followed my own advice from above and tried it on despite my lack of love. Again, I liked it, but didn't love it. I then did a little fashion show for Mark. He loved it! He specifically liked the color, saying it went well with my skin tone. I paired it below with denim skinnies from Stitch Fix (Fix #2) and black flats from Famous Footwear.
I then added a brown cardigan from Target and switched out the black flats for the nude flats.
I then paired it with the dark red skinnies, the nude flats, a denim jacket and a cream scarf.
With Mark's thumbs up and all of the above pairings, I am beginning to love it! It goes with so many things in my closet. I think it would also look great dressed up with a black pencil skirt for church.

Verdict: Kept!

Gideon Polka Dot Sweater from 41Hawthorn ($68)
I was excited when I pulled this sweater out next. Who doesn't like polka dots? I just wasn't sure if I was young enough to pull off wearing polka dots. Does that sound strange? Well, I tried it on anyway and loved it! Maybe I'm still not young enough, but I don't care. I paired it below with black skinnies from Stitch Fix (Fix #3) and the black flats.
I then paired it with the dark red sknnies, like my stylist suggested, and the brown riding boots.
I finally paired it with a black pencil skirt from Kohls, the denim jacket, gray tights and black riding boots from Famous Footwear.
I loved it all!

Verdict: Kept!

Cadiz Crystal Gemstone Necklace from Bay to Baubles ($34)
When I pulled this necklace out next, I thought it was definitely headed back to Stitch Fix. It just seemed a little too fancy for me. But when I tried it on with the polka dot sweater, like my stylist suggested, I loved it. It almost seemed as if the two pieces were made for each other.
Pretty, huh?!

Verdict: Kept!

Denver Cable Knit Elbow Patch Cardigan from Market & Spruce ($58)
The last item I pulled out was this cardigan. I think I was most excited about the possibility of this sweater. Cardigan! Cable knit! Gray! Elbow patches! All things I love.  But, when I tried it on, I didn't love it. I didn't even really like it. I was so disappointed. There is no shape to this sweater. I paired it below with a black layering tee from Down East, the denim skinnies and the black flats.
I then paired it with a white tee from Target and white Converse.
After seeing pictures of it on myself, I like it more. But not enough to keep it. However...

Verdict: Kept (If you keep all five peices, you get a 25% discount. Since I was keeping the other four pieces, it was actually cheaper to keep this sweater to get the discount, rather than send it back and pay for the four alone.)

Cost breakdown:

Total: $316
Buy 5 Discount*: -$79
Styling Fee Credit: -$20
Grand total: $217

*You must purchase all 5 items to receive a 25% discount.

So, that was my first Fix! Pretty fun, huh?! I loved it. Why did I love it? I added five fantastic pieces to my wardrobe without leaving my house. No driving to multiple stores. No browsing rack after rack after rack. No fitting rooms with awkward mirrors. No wondering if an item will work with something in my closet at home. Can you tell I don't love to shop?! I seriously loved it.  I know Stitch Fix isn't for everyone. It is definitely not cheap. But when you combine how much I hate shopping with how much I love getting new, cute clothes, it worked for me. For now, Stitch Fix is staying in my life. What did you think? Did you love anything? I'd love to hear!

So you know...The Stitch Fix links in this post are linked to my personal referral code. I would love for you to use one of them, if you happen to try out Stitch Fix. I would then receive a small amount of credit toward my next Fix. Guess what?! If you sign up, you too will recieve a personal referral code and can earn credit as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment