What I've Been Reading - August 2017

Thursday, August 31, 2017
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links.

The Almost Sisters: A Novelby Joshilyn Jackson (3.5 stars)




What a beautiful cover! This was my first Joshilyn Jackson, and, though I gave it only three and a half stars, I am looking forward to reading more by Jackson. The Almost Sisters was very enjoyable and extremely readable. I really liked Jackson's writing style. One small aspect, sadly, (the protagonist is a graphic novelist) kept me from really liking the story itself. As I write this though, I can't imagine the story written any differently. I'm torn! Perhaps that is why I feel this book wasn't quite for me, but I would really like to read more by Jackson. I definitely will be. Do you have a favorite Joshilyn Jackson?

The Cafe by the Sea: A Novelby Jenny Colgan (3 stars)

This was also my first Jenny Colgan. Unlike Joshilyn Jackson, however, I don't think I'll be seeking out any more by Colgan. Though enjoyable, this book didn't have quite enough substance in it for me. It would make for a great beach read, being light and easy to read, but I already have go-to authors I go to when I need a light, easy read. Am I wrong though? Should I try another Jenny Colgan? I'm always willing to be proven wrong.

In Cold Bloodby Truman Capote (2 stars)

I would have never picked this book up on my own. The only reason I picked it up was because my daughter was required to read it this summer for her AP English class starting this September. She was personally terrified to read it, so she asked if I would read it first. To be honest, I was terrified as well, and I really didn't want to read it, but I couldn't say no to my daughter, so I sucked it up and read it. I only gave this book two stars, but those are definitely personal stars, if that makes sense. The writing in this book deserves at least four stars. It was extremely well written. The content, however, was so hard for me to swallow. It was just so dark. I often found myself taking breaks from it. That is what led to my two stars.  I persevered, though, as did my daughter, and we've had a lot of great discussions since both finishing it. I'll admit, I'm a little jealous she gets to now discuss this in a classroom setting. I wish I could join her. If you can handle the dark stuff, unlike myself, I would highly recommend this book. 

Miss Burton Unmasks a Princeby Jennifer Moore (3.5 stars)

If you follow me, you know I have a soft spot for clean, Regency romance novels. This one fits that category perfectly. Not much to say but I enjoyed this one. (I should also say, please ignore this cover. My husband said if he didn't know what kinds of books I read, he would have been worried about me reading this book by the looks of its cover. That made me laugh.)

Mr. Rochesterby Sarah Shoemaker (3.5 stars)

Another beautiful cover! I had such high hopes for this book. I love Jane Eyre and couldn't wait to see what Sarah Shoemaker had to contribute to Mr Rochester's side of the story. Unfortunately, it fell a little short for me. Don't get me wrong. I liked it. I just didn't love it like I thought and hoped I would. I think part of why it fell a little short for me was because I had just recently reread Jane Eyre. Going immediately from Charlotte Bronte's writing to Sarah Shoemaker's was probably not fair to Shoemaker. It wasn't only the writing that fell short though. The story did as well. Shoemaker did a fantastic, (if a little lengthy,) job of telling Mr Rochester's story from before he met Jane. But once Jane entered the picture, I felt like Shoemaker lost steam in her storytelling,  right where I hoped steam would build and the book would get even better. Though it wasn't fantastic, I am glad I read it. I think most Jane Eyre fans would enjoy it.

The Address: A Novelby Fiona Davis (2.5 stars)

The covers this month are killing me! This was another book I had such high hopes for. The premise sounded right up my alley. I ended up enjoying the historical aspect of this book, but I couldn't get behind the main character. I did not find her likeable or relatable at all. This led to my low rating. Actually, I didn't really like any of the characters. Perhaps that is why this book didn't live up to its expectations. Maybe I need likeable characters. Something to think about. Well, The Address wasn't for me, but I know others have loved it, so don't count this one out.

The Lying Game: A Novelby Ruth Ware (2 stars)

Another great cover, but I wish I had never read this book. If I hadn't bought it, and instead had borrowed it from the library, I probably wouldn't have finished this book. For some silly reason, I felt like I had to read it because I had spent my hard-earned money on it. Grrr. So, why didn't I like this one? The characters! The story! (Man, the blurb on this one was sneaky!) Combine The Address and The Lying Game, I definitely learned something about myself this month. I must have likeable and relatable characters. If the characters aren't those two things, the story and writing better be fantastic. This book fell short everywhere. The language in this book also got on my nerves. I can handle language. I don't love it, but I can handle it. I now know that if I hate a book, I can't handle the language. Read and learn. (Another lesson learned - If Reese Witherspoon loves a book, it doesn't mean I will!)


I'd love to know what you read this month. Anything I should add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment