What I've Been Reading - November 2018

Friday, November 30, 2018
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my quick and personal thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics about each book, click on the provided book images.
This month, I decided it was time to complete Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series. I started this series in hopes that I would love it as much as I love Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, the two often being compared to one another. Sadly, I don't, but I am a completionist, so I had to complete this series despite my lack of love. Tana French does write smart, well-crafted murder mysteries that are more about the characters than the murders, much like Louise Penny, but I just don't love her characters as I do Penny's, nor do I get the cozy vibe I get from Penny's novels. Anyway, enough comparison. I found The Secret Place, the fifth book in this series, to be a good read. The premise and pacing kept me turning the pages. 3 stars (Warning - Language)
Like I said, this month was the time to complete this series. The Trespasser is the final book in the series (as of today) and, so, with its completion, I am done with the series. The Trespasser was also a good read. I didn't quite turn the pages as quickly as I did with The Secret Place, but almost. 3 stars (Warming - Language)
I chose A Little Princess to fulfill my goal to read one classic each month this year. This was one of those classics that I somehow missed growing up. I am glad to have finally read it. It was a sweet read and I can see why it is so loved. 4 stars
I am part of the Modern Mrs Darcy book club and this was the flight (optional) book this month. I almost didn't read it, because the synopsis didn't draw me in, but for some reason I decided to try it and I am so glad I did. It was a beautiful book. It touches on some tough topics, but, as it is written for middle graders, it is done so in a gentle manner. I highly recommend this one for all readers. 4 stars
This was a surprise read for me. I liked it so much more than I expected to. On my Instagram account, I asked for cozy December/Christmas reads. The Little Beach Street Bakery series was suggested, as it has a Christmas book within the series. Though a bit outside what I usually read, I decided to go for it. I am so glad I did. I really, really enjoyed it. Simple, sweet, quirky and fun. 4 stars
This is the second in the Little Beach Street Bakery series. It didn't quite live up to the first, but I still enjoyed it and definitely will pick up the third book in the series. Still simple, sweet, quirky and fun. 3 stars

This was the main book chosen for Modern Mrs Darcy 's book club this month. Somehow, I had never even heard of this book. Thank goodness for book clubs, because I am so glad to have read it. It ended up being almost a five star read for me. How to describe what I loved about this book? It has a unique structure, which can be difficult. It has an unreliable narrator, amongst its many narrators, which can also be difficult. It is a bit tragic, but despite those things, (and because of those things) I loved it. Thankfully, it all came together in the end and I feel ended hopefully. I will definitely be returning to this one in the future. 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment