What I've Been Reading - Summer 2018

Friday, August 31, 2018
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my quick and personal thoughts on what I've been reading this past month (or season). For specifics about each book, click on the provided book images.

How to Hug a Hedgehog - 3 stars

I was hoping for more from this book. It had helpful ideas, but I had heard all of them before.

Why I Don't Hide My Freckles Anymore - 3 stars

I enjoyed this collection of essays.

The 5 Love Languages - 4 stars 

This book had been sitting on my shelf for one too many years. I am so glad I have finally read it. All these years I have assumed my love language was physical touch. I was wrong. It is quality time.

The Bridal Wreath (Kristin Lavransdatter #1) - 3 stars

I was expecting to love this classic book. I didn't. It was just okay.

O Pioneers! - 4.5 stars

I went into this classic book knowing nothing. It was fantastic. I can't wait to read more by Willa Cather.

The Blue Castle - 4.5 stars

I love L. M. Montgomery. This book was very different from her Anne and Emily books, but I loved it.

The Suspect's Daughter (Rogue Hearts #4) - 4 stars
Unmasking the Duke (Rogue Hearts #5) - 4 stars
Courting the Countess (Courting #1) - 4 stars
Courting the Country Miss (Courting #2) - 4 stars




Donna Hatch wins my personal award for best books with the worst covers. She writes clean, romantic, regency-era books. I really enjoy them. I just wish they had different covers.

My Dearest Enemy - 3 stars

This book was simple, but sweet.

My Dearest Love (Hope Springs #0.5) - 5 stars

Sarah M. Eden can do no wrong in my book. I loved this novella.

A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell #3) - 3 stars

Deanna Raybourn's books are a lot of fun. This one was no different.

Kiss of the Spindle - 3 stars

This book was different, but a lot of fun.

Legendary (Caravel #2) - 3.5 stars

This book was a highly anticipated read for me. It didn't disappoint. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the third in the series.

The Widows of Malabar Hill - 3 stars

I learned so much from this book and it was a really good mystery.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - 5 stars

If you are a book lover and you haven't read this book yet, please do. It is wonderful. This was a re-read for me and I think I fell even more in love with it this second time.

Origin - 2 stars

I picked this one up on a whim at the library. I wish I hadn't. I don't believe I will be giving Dan Brown another chance.

Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad #3) - 3 stars

I haven't yet decided if I like Tana French or not. Her writing is fantastic, but at times it is a little too gritty for me. The jury is still out. (Language warning!)

I'll Be Your Blue Sky (Love Walked In #3) - 4 stars

I loved this book. It was smart, but simple and sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I read the Potato Peel book a few years ago and loved it. I have loved every Willa Cather book that I have read, she is such a great writer. You gave Origin 2 stars and a lady I work with gave it 5 stars, I always think it's interesting that the same book can be loved and hated, that always makes for a great book group discussion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete