What I've Been Reading - February 2018

Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Welcome to What I've Been Reading, where I share my (quick and personal) thoughts on what I've been reading this past month. For specifics (plot summary, etc.) about each book, click on the provided links or book images.

This Must Be the Place by Maggie O'Farrell (4 stars)

I really liked this book. I went into it completely blind. I didn't know anything about its premise or its author, Maggie O'Farrell. These facts made for a surprising read and I ended up loving so much about it. I loved how the story unfolded, jumping from time and place and character with each new chapter. It felt almost like a collection of short stories. And I loved the writing. It was different and fresh and simply enjoyable. If you enjoy books about complicated family relationships, I think you will like this one. Definitely recommend. I personally will be seeking out more of O'Farrell's work. (Caveat - Foul language is not a constant in this book, but the f-word is used fairly frequently.)

The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah (4 stars)

I have such mixed feelings about this book. I really liked it, but it was hard to read. It dealt with some very difficult themes. I often found myself putting it down because of this. Eventually, despite its difficult content, its characters and their stories completely pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. Ultimately, there is so much to recommend. Fascinating setting, strong female characters, the strength of the human spirit, love and so much more. (Caveat - If you are an HSP, you may want to read its description before diving in.) If you've never read Kristin Hannah before, please read The Nightingale. It is so, so good.  

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (5 stars)

I can't believe I had never read this classic before. It was beautiful. Such a simple tale, yet full of such meaning. If you haven't read it yet, please do. I wish I had read this to my kiddos when they were younger. It would have been a great one to read aloud to them. 

Force of Nature by Jane Harper (4 stars)

I had high expectations for this book. I loved Jane Harper's first book, The Dry. It was so, so good. This one was good as well, just not quite as good. I hate to say that. The story was great. I just wish the main detective for both books, Aaron Falk, had a larger presence in this second story. I missed him. I really hope Harper continues with this series though. I will definitely read them. If you haven't read The Dry yet, I recommend it.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (4 stars)

This collection of short stories was fantastic. I really liked it. Jhumpa Lahiri's writing style is simple, but beautiful and her stories are so real. I can't quite put my finger on what I loved so much about this collection, but Lahiri was amazing and drawing me into her stories. I felt like I was right there, living with her characters, feeling all of their feelings. It was wonderful. I can't wait to explore Lahiri's other work. I hope you do too. 

The Chemistry of Calm: A Powerful, Drug-Free Plan to Quiet Your Fears and Overcome Your Anxiety by Henry Emmons (4 stars)

I needed this book. It was great. It was filled with such good information, all written in a very readable, relatable way. I took a lot of notes and can't wait to put what I learned to practice. Though this book is geared toward those with anxiety, I think everyone could benefit from it.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you loved This Must Be the Place! I have it on my Kindle and have been meaning to try O'Farrell for awhile now. Also have her new memoir on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic month of reading you had! I also recently read The Interpreter of Maladies and really enjoyed it, although the stories all felt a bit melancholy to me. Having loved The Nightingale, I'm really excited to check out The Great Alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm next on the list for The Great Alone at our library. But, I've read so many dark and depressing stories lately, I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I'm sure I'll like it either way, but I need some happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love complicated families- especially if they're a bit dysfunctional. I've never read O'Farrell so am adding this to my TBR- it sounds like a great one to try.

    ReplyDelete